Major General Joseph Julius Cody Jr
MAJOR GENERAL JOSEPH JULIUS CODY JR.
Retired Aug. 1, 1974. Died July 29, 2004.
Major General Joseph Julius Cody, Jr., is deputy director, contract administration services for Defense Supply Agency with headquarters in Alexandria, Va.
General Cody was born in San Antonio, Texas, in 1918, where he graduated from Central High School in 1936 and graduated from St. Mary’s University in 1940 with a bachelor of science degree in physics. That same year he joined the Army Air Corps. He attended flying schools at Hancock Field, Calif., and Kelly and Randolph fields, Texas, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in September 1941.
He was assigned to the 55th Pursuit Group, Portland, Ore., and subsequently to the Seattle Air Defense Wing. In November 1943 he was assigned as a senior air controller with the 70th Fighter Wing in the European Theater of Operations. In this capacity he coordinated tactical air strikes with friendly ground troops, and operated the control center for tactical air operations. He participated in the D-Day landings in Normandy, and served as a tactical control officer until World War II ended.
He returned to the United States in April 1946 and became commander of the Base Maintenance-Engineering Group, Randolph Field, Texas. Two years later he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and during the next four years he participated in nuclear testing projects and was active in promoting a greater exchange of knowledge between the Air Force and industry in the research and development field. In 1951 he was awarded the Legion of Merit for helping to plan and execute the first manned aircraft penetration of a nuclear cloud in diagnostic testing.
In September 1952 he was transferred to the Air Research and Development Command, in Baltimore, Md., as chief, Evaluation Division, under the Director of Nuclear Application. He remained at ARDC for six years except from August 1956 to June 1957 when he attended the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
In September 1958 he went to Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., where he was assigned to the field office of the Ballistic Missile Division. As a result of the expansion of ballistic missile development activities and military space test operations, the field office was reorganized into the 6595th Aerospace Test Wing in October 1960 and General Cody was assigned as commander. He directed more than 100 ballistic missile and space launches and field testing of various Air Force ballistic missile weapon systems including the Thor, Atlas, Titan and Minuteman. In March 1963 he became assistant vice commander, Space Systems Division, Los Angeles, Calif., and later was vice commander.
In July 1964 General Cody became chief of staff, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base, Md.; next year became deputy chief of staff for systems; and in April 1967 again assumed duty as chief of staff. He became commander of Electronic Systems Division at L.G. Hanscom Field, Mass., in August 1968.
General Cody became deputy director, Contract Administration Services, for the Defense Supply Agency with headquarters in Alexandria, Va., in November 1971.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Belgian Fourragere.
He was promoted to the grade of major general effective Sept. 1, 1965, with date of rank Feb. 10, 1961. His hometown is San Antonio, Texas.
(Current as of Nov. 15, 1972)
COPYRIGHT 2004 U.S. Air Force
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group