Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Thomco has been an MGA focused on program business since the early ’80s. “We specialize in developing package programs that are custom tailored for specific industries and which typically involve admitted paper and standard market coverages,” says Greg Thompson, CPCU, ARM, president. “All our products are marketed through a national network of qualified independent agents.”
Thomco is the program manager for seven national niche programs:
* Daycare Centers – The Thomco Childcare Choice(TM) program consists of a comprehensive package of customized coverages and is designed for both profit and not-for-profit operations providing early childhood education. The entire package is written on an admitted basis.
* Head Start Program – The program provides a package of coverages that includes property, general liability, professional liability, auto, student accident and umbrella liability.
* Family Daycare Homes – The In-Home Childcare(TM) program is written on an occurrence form with defense costs outside the limit. It includes general liability including completed operations, sexual abuse protection up to $100,000/$300,000 and medical payments of $5,000. Limits up to $1 million/$3 million are available and rates are available online.
* Independent Living/Assisted Living Facilities/CCRC – Historically this multiline program was for 100% ambulatory residents who need assistance with activities of daily living including Independent Living, Assisted Living (ambulatory) and Alzheimer’s (up through level 5). More recently, Thomco has added the ability to underwrite Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) involving a minority population of skilled care beds.
* Pest Control Operators – The Pest Control Pro(TM) program provides general liability/E&O coverage and can handle general spraying, lawn and ornamental, termite control, and even structural fumigation. This is one of Thomco’s fastest growing programs due to outstanding quote turnaround service and superior coverages.
* Mental Health Facilities – The program provides multiline coverage for substance abuse, residential care facilities, outpatient counseling, and transitional living.
* Facilities for the Developmentally Disabled – The program provides multiline coverage for residential facilities, sheltered workshops, camps, and transitional living.
“We are the nation’s leading market for child care with an institutional day care center program (Childcare Choice) that is endorsed by the National Child Care Association,” Greg points out. The family day care program (In-Home Daycare) is selected by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and recognized by the National Association for Family Child Care. Thomco is a supporter of the Assisted Living Federation of America and is a member of its Insurance Committee.
The company was started in December 1977 by Roy Thompson. Greg joined the firm in 1979 after two years in New York with Marsh and McLennan. In its early years, Thomco was a wholesale operation that pursued a broad range of excess and surplus lines business regionally. In the mid-’80s, Greg decided to refocus the company’s efforts into the niche programs area on a national basis.
For additional information, see the Thomco Web site at www.thomcoins.com, which includes applications, and underwriter locator by state/program as well as extensive information on the above programs.
Copyright Rough Notes Co., Inc. Sep 2004
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved