* BELGIUM Engelhard has opened a new slurry facility for kaolin-based paper coating pigments at its terminal in Ghent. The plant receives dry pigment from ocean-going vessels and delivers customized slurries to papermakers in northern Europe by truck, rail and barge. Slurried products made at the site are tailored blends of kaolin-based pigment, dispersing agents, biocides and other ingredients.
* FINLAND Kemira will increase calcium sulfate pigment production at its Siilinjarvi plant. The Euro 3.5 million ($3 million) investment will boost the site’s total capacity to 80,000 tonnes/yr and enable the production of a new bright pigment grade. The new line is due to come on stream by the beginning of 2002.
* FINLAND The starch and starch derivatives supplier, Cerestar, will exhibit at the 4th International PulPaper Exhibition in Helsinki on June 5-7, 2001. The company is due to show its double modified starches C*Film HS range for pigmentizing and coating. Cerestar has also developed a new modification technique to create a range of thermally modified starches. In addition to surface starches, the company will introduce new products from its wet-end starch range at the exhibition.
* FRANCE Papeteries de Clairefontaine and JM Huber France SAS have agreed to expand the precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) production at the on-site satellite plant at Etival-Clairefontaine in France. The expansion of the PCC plant will be completed later this year. The site is owned and operated by Huber and was constructed in 1991. An expansion project took place in 1996 and now in 2001, as a result of increasing demand for new customized PCC qualities.
* FRANCE The talc producer, Luzenac Group, has re-organized its European business and created four pan-European units paper, coatings, polymers and specialties. With the new structure, Luzenac aims to provide its customers with enhanced expertise in applications, logistics and marketing, as well as research and development.
* ITALY Cartiere Burgo has chosen Cadmatic to supply 3D software for its new paper mill in Verzuolo, Italy. The program is aimed at bringing a visual aspect to the mill’s design concept. The data is used during the whole life cycle of the investment, from the first sketch to maintenance and operation. The mill is due to start up in December 2001.
* JAPAN Voith Paper and Ishikawajima– Harima Heavy Industries (IHI) have formed a joint venture company to integrate and improve service to the Japanese paper industry. The agreement covers activities including engineering, erection and after– sales service in fiber systems, paper machines, coating and finishing equipment. Initially, IHI will hold 70% and Voith Paper 30% of the Yen 500 million ($4 million) capital, but Voith Paper aims to take control of the company in the future.
* SWITZERLAND Ciba Specialty Chemicals has completed the global launch of its e-business service, mybusiness@cibasc. Customers can register for a range of business services, such as online ordering, order tracking, technical product information and expert advice on the site. The company intends to refine and review mybusiness@cibasc according to customer demands.
* UK Curtis Fine Papers has launched a new brand of uncoated paper and board called Curtis Malts. The range is inspired by the company’s history as a former whisky distillery. Other than ultra white Spirit, each of the new shades is named after a whisky region Lowland, Campbeltown, Speyside, Highland and Islay.
* US Invensys Software Systems has created a $1.6 billion systems integration business called Invensys Process Systems. The new unit combines the resources of APV Systems and Invensys Process Automation. The business will provide information technology, automation and process solutions to a wide range of manufacturing applications,
* US Nalco Chemical company has changed its name to ONDEO Nalco. Nalco’s parent company, Suez, has united its water– related activities under the single global brand, ONDEO, ONDEO Nalco specializes in water treatment and process chemicals for industries as part of ONDEO’s water solutions group.
Copyright Paperloop, Inc. Jun 2001
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved