Federal Government scholarships

Federal Government scholarships – Grab Bag

Need cash for college? You probably already know that the Federal Government offers financial aid through the U.S. Department of Education. But there are many other sources of Federal funds, especially for students interested in working for Uncle Sam.

The best way to uncover money for school is to contact Government agencies that are related to the subject you are studying. A few examples follow:

* The National Institutes of Health Undergraduate Scholarship program offers up to $20,000 annually to low-income or disadvantaged students studying biomedical, behavioral, or health science. Recipients work for the Institutes each summer and after graduation for 1 year for each year they received money. Contact: National Institutes of Health, Office of Loan Repayment and Scholarship, 2 Center Dr., MSC 0230, Bethesda, MD 20892-0230; 1 (800) 528-7689; ugsp.info.nih.gov/default.htm.

* Students of veterinary science and biomedicine may apply for $5,000 undergraduate or $10,000 graduate scholarships from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Recipients work for the Federal Government during summers while they are in school and after graduation for 1 year for each year they received aid. Contact: Saul T. Wilson, Jr. Scholarship, USDA, APHIS, Human Resources, 4700 River Rd., Unit 21, Riverdale, MD 20737-1230; 1 (800) 762-2738; www.aphis.usda.gov/mrpbs/job_opps/stw.html.

* The National Ocean Service offers up to $32,000 annually to graduate students–particularly women and minorities–working toward advanced degrees in oceanography, marine biology, or maritime archeology. This award, the Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship, has no service requirement. Contact: Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program, Office of Assistant Administration, 13th Floor, National Ocean Service, 1305 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910; (301) 713-3074; fosterscholars.noaa.gov/welcome.html.

* Undergraduates majoring in languages, mathematics, engineering, computer science, political science, or history can apply for tuition, expenses, and a year-round salary from the National Security Agency. Recipients work for the agency during the summers and after graduation for 1 1/2 times the length of study. Contact: NSA, Attn: Undergraduate Training Program, Office of Recruitment and Hiring, Suite 6779, 9800 Savage Rd., Fort George G. Meade, MD 20755-6779; 1 (800) 669-0703; www.nsa.gov/programs/employ.

* The Truman Scholarship is available to college juniors who are studying nearly any subject and who plan to attend graduate school and work in government, education, or public-service related nonprofits. Scholarship recipients get $3,000 for their final undergraduate year and $27,000 toward graduate education. Contact: Truman Scholarship Foundation, 712 Jackson Pl. NW., Washington, DC 20006; (202) 395-4831; www.truman.gov.

* Those planning to teach middle or high school can apply for the James Madison Memorial Fellowship, established by Congress. The fellowship offers up to $24,000 toward a master’s degree in government, history, or education. Recipients teach government or history for 1 year for each year of the fellowship. Contact: James Madison Foundation, PO Box 4030, 2201 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, Iowa 52243-4030; 1 (800) 525-6928; www.jamesmadison.com.

* High school students who serve their communities can qualify for $1,000 Presidential Freedom Scholarships. One-half of the money comes from the Corporation for National and Community Service; the other half is gathered by the student’s high school from local sources. To qualify, students must write a brief essay and must have volunteered at least 1,000 hours in the year preceding application. Contact: Presidential Freedom Scholarships, 1150 Connecticut Ave. NW., Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20036; 1 (866) 291-7700 (toll free) or (202) 742-5390; www.nationalservice.org/scholarships

COPYRIGHT 2002 U.S. Government Printing Office

COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group