NURSE PRACTITIONER ASSOCIATION OF ALBERTA
A Force on the Move
The Nurse Practitioner Association of Alberta (NPAA) is a group of registered nurses (RNs) with an interest in advancing the role of the nurse practitioner (NP) in Alberta. In April 2003 they were sanctioned by AARN’s Provincial Council as an AARN specialty practice group.
NPAA’s Executive Committee includes:
NPAA’s goal is to promote the role of the NP in Alberta and provide support for Alberta’s NPs. NPAA will promote the role of the NP in Alberta by:
* providing opportunities for affiliations with other provincial and national NP organizations
* contributing to the collective voice of nursing from the unique perspective of the NP
* advocating and supporting the principles of primary health care in Alberta
* lobbying government and other health disciplines on behalf of NPs
* educating the public, government and other health-care professionals about the role of NPs
NPAA will provide support for Alberta NPs by:
* providing a sustainable, professional, provincial support group for NPs
* providing networking opportunities for NPs within the NPAA and other RNs through the group’s affiliation as an AARN specialty practice group
* promoting communications, collegiality, and mutual respect among NPs provincially and nationally
Active Members must hold current active member registration with AARN, their primary residence must be in Alberta and they must have a commitment to the advancement of the NP’s role.
* receiving NPAA publications and communications
* having the right to vote in NPAA elections and hold office
Associate Members must:
* hold a current associate member registration with AARN
* be an out-of-province resident
* be committed to the advancement of the NP role
Associate member privileges include receiving NPAA publications and communications.
FUTURE NPAA ACTIVITIES
NPAA has many activities on the horizon which include:
* launching the NPAA website at www.AlbertaNPs.ca in January 2004
* hosting a day-long education and research workshop focusing on women’s health issues in conjunction with its first annual general meeting in Spring 2004
* first election of officers in Spring 2004
* conducting a survey of current NP salaries and job descriptions to assist colleagues across the province address negotiations for wages and benefits
In spring 2004, NPAA will distribute information regarding its first election of officers.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact: Mary Nugent
Submitted by: Dr. Sheila Gallagher, RN
Member, NPAA Education and Research Committee
Nurse Practitioners: Vital members of the health-care team
In September 2003, AARN distributed an information kit to regional health authorities, nurse practitioners and other stakeholders outlining the roles of NPs in a publicly-funded health-care system. The information kit addresses some of the communication and information barriers related to the role of both NPs and RNs in effectively meeting population health-care needs. For a copy of the information kit, visit AARN’s website at www.nurse.ab.ca or contact AARN at 1.800.252.9392.
Copyright Alberta Association of Registered Nurses Jan 2004
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved