Reader comments from www.advocate.com – The Advocate Poll – poll on human rights issue – Brief Article
* “Contrary to the knee-jerk reaction of doctrinaire, party-line leftists, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict bears no resemblance to the struggle for gay rights.”
* “Absolutely, The struggle for human dignity and respect fought by Palestinians whose very existence has been denied and denigrated by Israel is mirrored in the denial of the existence/realities of queers throughout the world.”
* “The comparison between Palestinians and gays is specious and simplistic at best.”
* “Not at all. The Palestinians are terrorists who have been killing hundreds of innocent Israelis. When is the last time those fighting for gay rights bombed a restaurant frequented by heterosexuals?”
* “The fight to establish an independent homeland for the Palestinian people and the fight to have our rights as individuals recognized by our own governments have a certain common thread. But the similarities end there.”
In the September 3 issue,
readers were asked:
Do you think there is a
connection between support
for gay and lesbian rights and
support for Palestinian rights?
Note: Table made from pie chart.
COPYRIGHT 2002 Liberation Publications, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group