Down and out
More than 20 bodybuilders have qualified for the Olympia this year, with potentially more to come via the Show of Strength on October 9. Nevertheless, several top qualifiers and big names won’t make it to the Olympia stage this year. Here’s why.
* KEVIN LEVRONE A torn right meniscus has sidelined Levrone for this year’s O. But never count him in or out. As soon as he announces one thing, he does the other.
* MELVIN ANTHONY Despite winning this year’s Night Of Champions, Anthony has opted out of the O due to the pressures of moving from the San Fernando Valley to a plush new home in San Bernardino, some 60 miles away. He plans to compete in the early contests in 2005.
* LEE PRIEST The everenigmatic Priest has declined to sign his Olympia contract, preferring to sit on the sidelines.
* JAROSLAV HORVATH The Czech bodybuilder has been forced to withdraw because of a shoulder injury. In his last showing, he was the only competitor under 200 pounds, and he was in phenomenal condition.
* ERNIE TAYLOR A motorcycle accident has sidelined Taylor for this year’s O.
* CRAIG TITUS and KING KAMALI Both failed to qualify earlier this year, although Titus is zeroing in on the Show of Strength on October 9. Both have proclaimed an end to their mutual hate-fest, which is a bit like hearing that GEORGE BUSH and OSAMA BIN LADEN are saying “enough already” and going camping together.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Weider Publications
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group