Take Control of Your Holiday Stress
Do you get frazzled during the holidays?
Is there just too much going on?
Are you happy when it is over?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, consider de-stressing your life during the holidays. Try some of the following suggestions for stress relief:
1. Determine up front how much you will spend (including credit cards) and don’t go beyond.
2. Get plenty of sleep, eat right, drink more water, and go easy on the caffeine.
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day and at least three times a week. Don’t have time? Try walking in the mall before starting to shop.
4. Forgive, grudges are too heavy to carry around.
5. Recharge your batteries by smiling more and having fun.
6. Have a special fun time with those you love.
7. Don’t put off unpleasant tasks.
8. Buy a precooked turkey (or ham) and dressing. After warming in your oven, you have cooked!
9. Rent a special holiday movie, pop popcorn, and have a party.
10. Limit overtime and work to no more than 16 hours out of 24 and not more than 60 hours per week.
11. Simplify your life by spending a couple of hours in your closet and getting rid of some of those clothes you will NEVER wear again. Give them to charity.
12. Practice relaxation techniques.
13. Get a pedicure or a massage.
14. Spend time with people you like and who like you.
15. Pray or meditate.
16. Recall your blessings every day.
17. Practice optimism and accept what you cannot change.
Copyright Alabama State Nurses’ Association Dec 2003-Feb 2004
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved