John Oxley’s Sydney town house
John Oxley, third Surveyor General of New South Wales, occupied the house at the corner of King and Macquarie Streets Sydney from about 1820 till his death in 1828.
It was on the 12 June 1811 that Thomas Clarkson, a ticket of leave man, having arrived in the Alexander during August 1806, purchased two blocks of land in Macquarie Street near Hyde Park from John Jones. He paid 15 [pounds sterling] each for the blocks which included as part of the purchase, the frame of a house that Clarkson planned to complete. (1)
Later on 24 September 1811 he acquired another allotment in Macquarie Street for 5 [pounds sterling], giving him three adjoining blocks. Today this land lies at the corner of King and Macquarie Streets, Sydney. St. James’s Church lies on the other side of King Street to the south while the Mint and Hyde Park Barracks are situated to the east on the other side of Macquarie Street. (2)
We cannot be certain of the exact date Thomas Clarkson completed the house. However it was still under construction when he mortgaged the property in 1817, to Thomas Hall. At the time it was planned to be ready for occupation in January 1818 and on this basis Clarkson leased the property in late 1817, although soon after the date of occupation was moved to June 1818. Clarkson however mortgaged the property again including the ‘newly erected stone and brick menage or dwelling house’ together with stables and other outhouses to D’Arcy Wentworth in March 1818 for 350 [pounds sterling]. Soon after, conflict arose over whom it was who had the right of occupation, and Clarkson’s unhappy tenant was prevented from entering the premises. (3)
After repaying the mortgage, Clarkson advertised the house for sale in the Sydney Gazette of 14 August 1819. During the same year Governor Macquarie asked Francis Greenway to value Mr. Clarkson’s house, to which he assigned a value of 2000 [pounds sterling]. (4)
The town of Sydney was slowly beginning to expand around Clarkson’s small allotment. On 7 October 1819, on the other side of King Street, Governor Macquarie laid the foundation stone for a new Supreme Court, only to be frustrated later by Commissioner Bigge, who against all protests, insisted a new church must be built on the site. On the other side of Macquarie Street the new prison barracks were nearing completion. Sydney’s population had swollen to well over 11,000 souls and the town was beginning to take on the order of formed streets and substantial buildings. (5)
Clarkson’s property would probably have been a wise investment, although whether D’Arcy Wentworth acquired it at the sale is unknown. Whatever the outcome of the sale of the property of 1 rood 24 3/4 perches it was granted to D’Arcy Wentworth on the 31 December 1819 by Governor Macquarie. The grant set out a description of the land. While the size of the house set out is presumed to be a minimum requirement, the type of residence is remarkably similar to the house already existing on the site. (6)
forever. Sixty four and three quarters rods of ground lying and
situate in the town of Sydney. Bounded on the north side by a line
bearing east two and one quarter degrees north one hundred and
fourteen and one half feet. On the east side by Macquarie Street
bearing three degrees east one hundred and fifty feet. On the south
side by King Street bearing west three degrees south one hundred
and nineteen feet and on the west side by a line bearing north two
thirds of a degree west one hundred and fifty one feet. Conditioned
not to sell, or alienate the same for a space of three years from
the date hereof and to build a good and sufficient dwelling house
there of brick and stone within the said period, fifty feet in
length, sixteen feet in width and two stories high, reserving at all
times the right to the Governor (for the time being) of appropriate
such part thereof as may be deem necessary for the making and
improving the streets. Quit rent of one pound fourteen shillings and
(signed) L. Macquarie
witnessed by H.C. Antill
During the winter of 1816, John Oxley, Surveyor-General of the Colony had moved from a house he had occupied at 72 George Street, Sydney. It was thought that John Oxley moved directly from that address to this Macquarie Street house, though no evidence seems to have been produced to support this, and nor have I found any to support his claim (7). Research on the life of Thomas Clarkson has clearly shown the house was uninhabitable in 1816, and it must therefor be concluded that Oxley occupied a house elsewhere in Sydney prior to moving to the corner of King and Macquarie Streets. (8)
The location of any other house he may have occupied is unknown; however the Sydney Gazette of Saturday, January 8, 1820 indicates that the Government paid rent for Oxley from the Police Fund to James Whitehouse. Rent for this property at this time was the same as it had been at George Street, one guinea per week. On 11 November 1820 payments were made for Oxley’s rent up to July 1820 from the Police Fund to Jones & Riley.
Again no clue is provided as to the location of the house. Edward Riley did own property in Pitt Street, and by this time Oxley’s rent had risen slightly to 5 [pounds sterling] per. month. (9)
By mid 1820 it seems certain that Oxley was the occupier of the house at the corner of King and Macquarie Streets. (10) D’Arcy Wentworth had found himself a steady stream of income, with Oxley’s house rent being paid for by the Colonial Government as pat of his remuneration. (11) Rent being paid for this house was now 10 [pounds sterling] per month, Wentworth apparently having made a shrewd business investment. We can only wonder whether Wentworth knew the Government was interested in the property, and of Greenway’s valuation of the same property.
With total disregard to the conditions of the grant, D’Arcy Wentworth advertised the property for sale in the Sydney Gazette on the 1 April 1820, just three months after receiving the grant.
John Oxley was to use this house as both his office and Sydney residence for his remaining years as Surveyor-General. He extensively furnished the near new, two-story house, as can be seen from the catalogue of the auction held to dispose of the house contents in 1828. Much of his large book collection was also held at this house, and he filled the cellars with sherry and Madeira, and no doubt a selection of good table wines. (12)
While John Oxley always regarded his property ‘Kirkham’, in Cow Pastures as his real home, his many business commitments and public duties meant he spent the greater part of his time at the corner of King and Macquarie Streets. (13)
The ever increasing work in the Surveyor-General’s Department had resulted in it being allocated an office in the Sydney Hospital during 1819. The previous occupant, Assistant-Surgeon Owen, had been appointed to Port Dalrymple in Van Diemen’s Land. The size of this office is unknown; however, it can be assumed to have been quite small, and Oxley continued to conduct his duties as Surveyor-General from his Sydney House. (14)
The sudden availability of an office for the Surveyor-General happened to precede the arrival of Commissioner Bigge by only two weeks, and it may have assisted a little in presenting a more efficient Colonial administration. During these years, surveyors still worked from their homes. The Deputy Surveyor-General, Meehan, for example, held paper work and plans of surveys conducted in the Colony during the years before Oxley’s arrival at his home. Oxley, who later became a confidant of Commissioner Bigge, explained all these matters in detail during his formal interview with the Commissioner in November 1819. (15)
It was a time when the work of the Surveyor-General’s Department was growing in an unprecedented manner, in line with the increasing population of the Colony, and Commissioner Bigge saw the need for additional office space for the survey department. In a letter of 6 February 1821 Bigge recommended to Governor Macquarie the purchase of the house then occupied by Oxley from its owner D’Arcy Wentworth, if it could be obtained at a reasonable price. Later, when larger premises were found for the Surveyor-General’s Department, it was planned that the house would be used by the Chaplain of St. James’s Church, on the other side of King Street. (16) Following Bigge’s recommendation, Governor Macquarie again asked Francis Greenway to value the house on the corner of King and Macquarie Streets. Documents assessing the value of carpentry, the brick and stone work show that two rooms on the ground floor of the house were being used as offices. (17)
It was a substantial home with four rooms as well as large hallways on the ground floor. Upstairs there were five bedrooms and a dressing room. he house had six fireplaces and two chimneys. Seventeen windows were identified during the valuation. There was a separate kitchen with store room and cellar, privy and coach house. (18)
The dimensions of the rooms are difficult to determine, though the outside dimensions of the main house can be estimated at being about 50 feet by 37 feet from the available information on Surveyor H. Percy Dove’s plans of Sydney, and in a survey of Section 41, Sydney, held in the National Library of Australia. An idea of the size of the rooms might also be imagined from the ‘Handsome Carpet of 17 feet by 17 in the drawing room. (19)
Greenway assigned the same value of 2000 [pounds sterling] to the house in his report to the Governor on 17 February 1821. Then in the Sydney Gazette of Saturday 21 June 1821 we find that the property had been sold to the Colonial Government for 1500 [pounds sterling]. (20) While we cannot be quite certain it would seem that D’Arcy Wentworth had made a handsome profit.
The same year Oxley was able to gain approval for the appointment of two Assistant Surveyors. William Harper and Henry Dangar were appointed on 1 July 1821. Following this, new assistant-surveyors were added to the establishment regularly. (21)
In 1823 plans to construct an office building for the Surveyor-General’s Department on the same land as Oxley’s house were drawn up by Major Ovens, Acting Chief Engineer, and forwarded to Governor Brisbane for his consideration. However he felt that such a building would be inconsistent with the planned future use of the property by the Chaplain of St. James’s Church and also because the Governor was expecting dispatches from England on the subject of buildings in the colony he rejected the proposal. (22)
During December of 1823 John Oxley was appointed, together with Reverend Richard Hill and James Bowman to manage the Temporalities of the Church of St. James’s. They had the power to raise funds for the purpose of letting of pews and seats. (23) Work on this aspect of the church management would have begun not long after an invitation to parishioners to submit written applications to the Reverend Richard Hill appeared in the Sydney Gazette of 25 December 1823.
Oxley of course would have seen the first service held in St James’s on 6 January 1822 before the church was completed. He probably saw the consecration of St James’s by Reverend Samuel Marsden on 11 February 1824, and during the few years left, watched the Parish of St James grown. Sadly on the 6 December 1825 just two days after he returned from escorting Governor Brisbane on his inspection of Moreton Bay and the Brisbane River, Oxley had to attend the funeral of his four year old daughter Louisa, who had drowned after falling down an open well near the Hyde Park Barracks. (24)
Later, he would have seen the first street lamp lit in Macquarie Place in 1826, and been pleased to see the staff of the Survey-General’s Office grow. for in that year nine surveyors occupied positions in the Surveyor-General’s Department of New South Wales and in addition there were three clerks and a draftsman. (25)
At the time of Oxley’s death in 1828 there were at least 17 officers in the Surveyor-General’s Department. It must be assumed most of these staff were accommodated elsewhere possibly in additional rooms in the hospital, on the opposite side of Macquarie Street, although this is not certain. Some assistant-surveyors may still have been working from their homes. Reference has been made to an office filled with plans and paper work in 1827, just months before Oxley’s death, although its size or location is not revealed. (26)
Oxley continued to use the house until his death in 1828, and there appears to be no evidence the house was ever altered during that time. He and his family occupied the whole house during those years, and the catalogue of the contents show each room was well furnished. (27)
He spent the last months of his life almost exclusively at his property ‘Kirkham’, and during the last weeks was bedridden. When John Oxley died at ‘Kirkham’, after a long illness on the afternoon of 26 May 1828 the news was immediately conveyed to Sydney. The next day his body was brought to Sydney, and lay in the house until 28 May. Governor Darling cancelled a party at Government House out of respect for his memory and ordered a state funeral for Oxley.
On the afternoon of 28 May his body was transferred to St. James’s Church, the Reverend Richard Hill conducted the funeral service. (28) A long solemn procession followed the hearse to the Devonshire Street cemetery, and according to Samuel Marsden it was the best attended funeral he had known in the Colony until that time. (29)
When John Oxley died he left considerable debts. He had mortgaged ‘Kirkham’ just a few weeks earlier and with numerous other debts, he left significant problems for his executors. There were three executors nominated to administer his will. The first his brother-in-law James Norton, a Sydney solicitor, who went on to manage the financial affairs of the estate for many years. The second was James Coghill who had been Oxley’s farm manager and a partner in the produce of the property, and who continued his role as manager of ‘Kirkham’ until 1837. The other was Oxley’s friend Hannibal Macarthur who appears to have played no more than a supportive role. (30)
Oxley’s family now had to vacate the Sydney town house of at least eight years, and it was decided to auction the contents of the house. No doubt, it would bring some extra cash needed to keep the ‘Kirkham’ estate in the Cow Pastures operating. Emma Oxley, against her brother’s advice, travelled to Sydney to sift through their private papers, and presumably to remove anything she wished to ‘Kirkham’. (31)
The auction of the house contents was arranged for the 23 June 1828 on the premises, and was advertised in the Sydney Gazette of the 13, 16, 20 and 23 June. (32) The auctioneer was Thomas Bodenham who operated an Estate and Land Agency in George Street, Sydney. His catalogue for the auction reveals a little more about the design of the house, which appears to have been quite large for the times. The ground floor consisted of drawing, dining and breakfast rooms as well as a housekeeper’s room and hallways. Upstairs, there were five bedrooms, consisting of a main room with a dressing room, three spare bedrooms and a housekeeper’s bedroom. (33)
A separate kitchen and stables completed a roomy colonial home, which at the time of John Oxley’s death was fully furnished by a long list of contents in the auction catalogue. Not all the items were sold on 23 June 1828 and the sale continued on the 24 and 25. Who purchased the majority of the lots is unknown, though one of them, ‘Lot 20. 1 sopha with handsome chinz covering and cushions’ appears to have been purchased by Oxley’s sister, Mrs Dixon for 14-15-o [pounds sterling], Purchases were also made by Hanibal Macarthur to the value of 71-7-0 [pounds sterling], and no doubt other members of the family and close friends may have attended and made purchases. (34)
The auction is recorded as having raised 700-10-10 [pounds sterling] and it no doubt assisted in easing the family’s financial dilemma. The auction of John Oxley’s book collection was held on the 19 August 1828 at Mrs. Reibey’s premises in George St. To the catalogue of the books, a few items from the general household were added, together with a number of pipes of Sherry and Madeira. (35)
At the time Oxley’s Library was one of the largest in the Colony and he had made his books available to other learned gentlemen of the Colony through his membership of the Philosophical Society of Australasia. Members of the Society had produced a catalogue of books held in their private libraries so that all members could benefit from the combined resources. The idea being the forerunner to the Subscription Library and later the State Library of New South Wales as we know it today. (36)
By 8 July 1828 the Government began repairs on the house that were to cost 112-0-8 1/2 [pounds sterling] in readiness for its new occupants, the Colonial Audit Office and the Office of the Collector of Internal Revenue. Repairs were completed the same year and the offices were occupied soon after. (37)
These officers occupied the house until 1837, when the position of Collector of Internal Revenue, held by William MacPherson 9 (who was also church warden of St. James’s) became part of the Treasury, Bishop Broughton was given the use of two rooms for his DIocesan Registry. (38)
In his Picture of Sydney and Stranger’s Guide to New South Wales for 1839 James Maclehose describes the premises as also containing an office for the Surveyor-General’s Department. However, Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell did not live in the house, having built himself a home, Craigend, at Darlinghurst. (39) A plan of Section 41 in Sydney for the 1840s indicates the house for a time must have contained an office for town surveyors. (40)
An annex was built on the northern side of the house some time during 1840. It was in May 1840 that an office in the building on the site of the present Land’s Department building in Bridge Street, and occupied by the Subscription Library, was allocated to the fast growing Surveyor-General’s Department. The Subscription Library had to move, and it was allocated apace in the annex built on the northern side of the house on the corner of King and Macquarie Streets, and can be seen in drawings held by the Mitchell Library, Sydney. The Library conducted its business from that site until 1843. (41)
Later in 1845, some twenty five years after it was first proposed, the house and the southern portion of the general land grant was allocated as the Parsonage for St. James’s Church. The rector, Reverend Robert Allwood took up residence in the house the same year. (42)
CATALOGUE FOR THE AUCTION OF THE HOUSE CONTENTS.
The catalogue of house contents, auctioned on Monday 23 May 1828 is reproduced in the following pages in a type and arrangement which closely follows the original held in the Mitchell Library of the State Library of New South Wales. (43)
While self explanatory, this list and various views of the house still available, help provide a record of the home that stood on the corner of King and Macquarie Streets Sydney during the early Colonial period and which was first occupied by John Oxley.
MODERN FURNITURE, BEAUTIFUL CUT GLASS, DINNER SERVICES OF PORCELAIN, AND ELEGANT MODERN PLATE, KINGS’ PATTERN.
to be sold
BY MR. BODENHAM.
ON THE PREMISES IN MACQUARIE STREET, LATELY OCCUPIED BY THE LATE AND RESPECTED
John Oxley, Esq SURVEYOR GENERAL OF THE TERRETORY,
On Monday, June 23rd 1828,
Sale to Commence at 11 o’clock.
MAY BE VIEWED FROM 10 TO 4 O’CLOCK, FOUR DAYS PRIOR TO THE SALE.
PRINTED BY A. HILL, 81, GEORGE STEET.
1 10 Very Superior Spanish mahogany chairs with horse hair cushions, brass bound, 2 arm ditto.
2 A Hansome Spanish mahogany Travalgar side board.
3 1 Dining Table.) these are bracketted
4 1 Round Table) as 3 in pencil
5 A Japanned plate warmer. (numbered as 4 in pencil)
6 A quantity of India matting and Brussell’s heath rugs
7 1 pair bell pulls, Black silk velvet.
8 Brass Fender and polished steel fire irons.
9 4 Handsome Chintz curtains, curtain rings, &c.
10 2 Elegant papier mache tea trays.
11 Set of table mats and 2 patent cork screws.
12 2 Proof plates of the proposal and congratulation in gilt frames.
13 2 Elegant rosewood card tables.
14 1 richly turned rosewood sofa table
15 1 Rosewood couch chintz squabs and cushion
16 12 Chairs with stuffed squabs chintz covers, 2 arm do.
17 1 pair figured silk bell pulls
18 1 Handsome Carpet 17 feet by 17.
18 An elegant cottage cabinet Piano Forte.
19 1 Handsome cut brass fender and polished fire irons.
20 1 Sofa with handsome Chintz covering and cushion. Mrs. Dixon *
21 1 Pair of curtains.
22 1 Sofa with squab and cushion cover
23 8 Arm Chairs
24 2 Arm Chairs with cushions and stuffed backs.
25 1 Sideboard and 3 drawers and double locks
26 1 Steel cut fender
27 1 Breakfast Table
28 1 Manilla mat 3 y 17 and 1 Brussels hearth rug.
29 Large Press (this item has been pencilled in)
* Mrs. Dixon’s name had been pencilled in, she was John Oxley’s sister.
29 1 Capacious double cupboard with looks and shelves complete
30 1 ditto ditto
31 1 Brass Fender
32 1 Table with Drawers
33 8 Wash hand basins and 4 soup dishes
34 1 Arm Chair
35 1 Mahogany slab table
36 1 Elegant bronze Sinombria Lamp, spare shade, Chimney Wicks &c.
36 1 Eight day clock
37 1 ditto
38 1 Chamber lamp with 5 ground glass spare shades
39 1 Double Cupboard with locks shelves &c. complete
40 2 Double knife trays, and 1 bread basket
41 14 desert plates, 4 fruit baskets, 6 ditto dishes, 1 centre 1 olive stand, and 1 grape dish.
42 1 Pair of cut decanters and 1 pair of spirit bottles.
43 1 Wine cooler and 1 egg boiler.
44 1 Dresser and stand.
45 7 Iron sauce-pans in sizes, and 1 stew pan
46 1 Frying Pan, 1 Grid Iron and I Dripping Pan
47 2 Large fish kettles and strainers and 1 copper coal skuttle
48 1 Iron and 1 copper boiler
49 1 Bakers through
50 1 Safe, with shelves and stand
51 4 Chairs
52 1 Set of opaque china, comprising 2 vegetable dishes, sallad ditto, a soup and 1 tureen, 12 soup and 24 large plates, 6 water plates, 5 dishes, 1 fish strainer
53 2 Oyster Patties, 2 funnels, 1 sieve, 1 spice box, 1 cheese toaster, 1 cullender, 1 fish slice, and 12 ladles, 1 spice and coffee mill
54 1 Cast Iron Oven and fittings
55 2 Crapes and Hooks with bars for grate.
56 5 Paper tea trays and waiters.
SERVANTS BED ROOM.
57 1 Tent Bedstead
58 1 Couch ditto
FIRST FLOOR. SPARE BED ROOM ON THE LEFT.
59 1 Tent bedstead with rich chintz furniture.
60 2 Mattresses, 1 Bolster and two pillows.
61 1 Window curtain to match.
62 1 Wash hand stand, soap tray and brush tray.
63 1 Dressing Table.
64 1 Modern dressing Glass.
HOUSEKEEPER’S BED ROOM. ON THE RIGHT.
65 1 Tent bedstead with printed furniture.
66 2 Mattresses for ditto with 2 bolsters and 2 pillows
67 1 Tent bedstead with printed furniture
68 1 Horse hair mattress.
69 1 Wool ditto, 1 pillow.
70 1 Mahogany chest of drawers with brass locks
71 1 Wash hand stand and 2 Ewers
BEST SPARE BED ROOM. ON THE RIGHT.
72 1 Mahogany bedstead with elegant chintz furniture &c.
73 2 New Marselles conterpance and 1 bolster
74 1 Dressing glass.
75 1 Circular dressing table.
76 1 Wash-hand stand, with soap, dish, and tooth brush tray
77 1 Handsome mahogany wardrobe, brass bound, with drawers &c. complete.
BEST BEDROOM ON THE LEFT
78 1 Rich carved Mahogany bedstead with handsome chintz furniture, and lined throughout.
79 1 Mattress to match.
80 6 Pillows ditto.
81 1 Dressing table.
82 1 Dressing glass.
83 1 Cane bottom sofa with drawers, chintz furniture and squat complete.
84 1 Child’s cot and mattress.
85 1 Wash-hand stand.
86 1 Cut steel fender and bell pull.
87 1 Wash-hand stand with modern fittings, an elegant piece of furniture.
88 1 Dressing table
89 1 Boot rack
90 1 self and 1 Biddy.
91 Sundry wine binns.
92 1 Bottle rack.
ROOM OVER THE CELLAR
93 1 Bed couch.
94 12 Frames and 2 cogged wheels.
95 1 Harness cask.
96 Saddle stand.
97 [begin strikethrough] 1 Corn binn. [end strikethrough] (This item was crossed out in the catalogue)
98 3 Tubs and 2 pails and 1 pair of steps, querie, carriage harness, ====== (another word crossed out so as to be unreadable)
RICH CUT GLASS DETACHED
99 2 Quart and 2 pint decanters to match and 2 claret ditto
100 2 Quart ditto, 2 pint ditto and 2 caret ditto.
101 7 Water bottles.
102 4 ditto ditto.
103 4 ditto ditto.
104 4 ditto ditto.
105 12 Finger glasses.
106 6 ditto ditto.
107 12 Wine coolers
108 8 ditto ditto
109 12 Water tumblers.
110 8 ditto ditto
111 4 Salts
112 4 ditto
113 12 Large Tumblers.
114 12 ditto ditto.
115 12 large tumblers.
116 8 ditto ditto.
117 16 Wine glasses.
118 12 ditto ditto.
119 12 Large wine glasses
120 12 ditto ditto.
121 12 ditto ditto.
122 12 Claret glasses
123 12 ditto ditto.
124 12 ditto ditto.
125 13 ditto ditto
126 14 Champaigne glasses.
127 12 ditto ditto
128 12 Liquor ditto.
129 10 ditto ditto.
130 13 Custard cups.
131 12 ditto ditto
132 14 Jelly glasses
133 12 Jelly Glasses
134 26 Green hock glasses.
135 1 Elegant cut trifles
136 2 Water jugs.
137 2 Butter stands.
138 2 Sugar basins.
139 1 Custard dish.
140 4 Fluted quart decanters,
141 2 Pint do.
142 10 Green finger glasses.
143 1 Glass jug.
144 1 Superb dinner service, china with gold edges comprising 114 pieces viz.
144 2 soup tureens and stands, 4 vegetable dishes and covers, 4 sauce tureens and stands, 15 dished assorted 18 soup plates, 30 dinner ditto. 21 pye ditto. 12 cheese ditto.
145 1 Dinner set blue and white china, comprising 122 pieces viz. 2 soup tureens and stands, 4 vegetable dishes with covers 4 sauce tureens and stands, 1 sallad bowl, 14 dishes assorted, 1 fish strainer, 12 soup plates 36 dinner ditto. 12 pie ditto, 10 cheese pates 4 pickle stands.
146 18 Silver table spoons.
147 18 Ditto desert ditto.
148 18 Ditto tea ditto.
149 18 Ditto large forks.
150 18 Ditto small ditto.
151 12 Ditto desert knives and 12 forks.
152 6 Ditto salt spoons.
153 2 Ditto gravy ditto.
154 2 Soup ladles.
155 4 Sauce ditto.
156 8 Wine labels.
157 1 Marrow spoon.
158 1 Mustard ditto.
159 4 Bottle stands.
160 1 Fish knife.
161 1 Butter ditto.
162 A tea pot.
163 1 pair of Sugar tongs
164 1 Sugar dish
165 1 Wine Strainer
166 1 Liquor frame with 4 decanters.
167 1 Pair Chamber candlesticks with extinguishers and snuffers complete.
168 1 Pair parlour ditto.
169 1 Toast rack.
Abbreviations: (Historical Records of Australia) HRA, series number and vol. number; (Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society) JRAHS
(1) Woodhead, Christine; Wilcocks, Marlene and Aitkin, Margaret. Thomas Clarkson. If Only. Sydney, 1988; Baxter, Carol J. General Musters of New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen’s Land 1811. Sydney, 1987
(2) Woodhead, Christine. Thomas Clarkson. If Only, p.25
(3) op. cit. p.76-8
(4) op. cit. p.79
(5) Dowd, B.T. ‘The site of St James’ Church, Sydney’, JRAHS vol. 53 pt.4 1967 p.295. HiRA, 1,10,p.286 Governor Macquarie to Earl Bathurst, 29 February 1820
(6) Grant of Land to D’Arcy Wentworth. Land Titles Office of NSW, Grant Index 1792-1826 p.50, Description Registry 7 Serial 11, p.179, the grant was signed by Governor Macquarie on 31 December 1819, registered in the Secretary’s Office, Sydney 28 April 1820: Christine Woodhead. Thomas Clarkson, If Only, pp. 79-80.
(7) Rowland, E.C. ‘The Life and work of Lieutenant John Oxley, R.N.’ JRAHS vol. 28 pt 4 1942 p.262: Rowland, E.C. ‘The St. James’, Sydney Parsonage Site JRAHS, vol. 37 pt.4,1951, p.251: Sydney Gazette, 15 June 1816, 10 August 1816.
(8) Woodhead, Christine. Thomas Clarkson. If Only, pp. 76-8
(9) Sydney Gazette, 22 April 1815 & 8 February 1817; Pike, Douglas (ed) Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 2 (The James Whitehead mentioned here is not sufficiently identified.)
(10) Sydney Gazette, 11 November 1829 & 23 June 1821.
(11) Sydney Gazette, 23 June 1821; HRA, 1, 9, p.244
(12) John Oxley Papers, ML, A5322-1, Frames 230-4, Catalogue of items to be sold on the premises at Macquarie Street lately occupied by the late much respected John Oxley Esq.
(13) Rowland, E.C. ‘The Life and Works of Lieutenant John Oxley, R.N.’ JRAHS, vol. 28, pt.4 1942 p.262
(14) HRA, 1,10, p.98 Ritchie, John, The Evidence of the Bigge Reports NSW under Governor Macquarie. vol. 1. The Oral evidence. Melbourne, 1977, pp. 64-5
(15) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 6006, 4/3499, p.337 Colonial Secretary to Lieutenant Governor Sorrell, 23 February 1819; Ritchie, John The Evidence of the Bigge Reports NSW under Governor Macquarie vol. 1 The Oral Evidence pp. 64-5
(16) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 6052: 4/1752, p.14, 14a, 14b, J.T Bigge to Governor Macquarie 6 February 1821
(17) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 6051; 4/1749, pp. 296-300, F. Greenway to Governor Macquarie with attachments, 17 February 1821
(18) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 6051; 4/1749, pp. 296-300, F. Greenway to Governor Macquarie with attachments, 17 February 1821
(19) John Oxley Papers, ML, A5322-1 Frames 230-34 Catalogue to be sold by Mr. Boderham on the premises in Macquarie Street, Lately occupied by the late and respected John Oxley Esq. Surveyor General of the Territory.; Dove, H. Percy Plans of Sydney 1880, Sydney, 1880
(20) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 6051, 4/1749, pp. 296300, F. Greenway to Governor Macquarie with attachments, 17 February 1821
(21) HRA, 1, 10 p.541; HRA,1,11,pp. 350-1; HRA,1, 12, pp. 630,713-5
(22) State Records of NSW, CSP, Reel 5010: 4/3508, p.529 Frederick Goulburn to Major Ovens, 17 June 1823
(23) State Records of NSW, CSP, Real 6039; 4/424, p.201 Government and General Orders, 10 December 1823
(24) State Records of NSW, Register of Baptisms, Burials and Marriages AO5001, vols. 1&2, pp.323-4; Sydney Gazette, Thursday 13 February 1824, p.2: Sydney Gazette, 9 December 1824; Commemoration of the Centenary of the Consecration of St. James. Church, Sydney, February 10th, 22nd, and 17th 1924; Cumpston, J.S. Arrivals and Departures 1788-1825 Canberra, 1977, p. 154
(25) HRA,1,14,p.179; HRA,1,12,p.630; Barnard, Marjorie, Sydney. The Story of a City, Melbourne, 1856,p.16
(26) Colony of New South Wales for the year 1828 [Sydney, 1828?] pp. 767; MacLeod Morgan, H.A. ‘George Mears Countess Bowen’ The Australian Genealogist, vol. 8. pt.5 September 1956, pp. 103-119
(27) John Oxley Papers, ML, A5322-1, Frames 230-234, Catalogue, to be sold by Mr. Bodenham on the premises at Macquarie Street, Lately occupied by the late and respected John Oxley Esq. Surveyor General of the Territory
(28) John Oxley Papers, ML, A5322-2, Frame 217, James Norton to Governor Darling, 27 May 1828; Sydney Gazette, 30 May 1828, p. 2e
(29) Sydney Gazette, 30 May 1828 p. 2e
(30) John Oxley Papers, ML A5322-1, Frames 148-154, The last will and Testament of John Oxley
(31) John Oxley Papers ML1, A5322-2, Frames 86-88
(32) John Oxley Papers, ML A5322-1, Frames 230-234 Catalogue, to be sold by Mr. Bodenham on the premises at Macquarie Street, Lately occupied by the late and respected John Oxley Esq. Surveyor General of the Territory
(33) John Oxley Papers. Ibid
(34) John Oxley Papers Ibid; John Oxley Papers, ML, Frames 156, John Oxley Estate i Account with James Norton, September 1828
(35) John Oxley Papers ML, A5322-1 Frames 222-230 Catalogue of the Sale of Books, being the library of the late John Oxley Esq.
(36) Commemoration of the Centenary of the Foundation in 1821 of the Philosophical Society of Australasia. Sydney, 1821 ed.1.; Bladen, F.M. Public Library of New South Wales. Historical Notes, p.1
(37) Colony of New South Wales for the year 1828 pp. 667
(38) Rowland, E.C. The St James’s Sydney, Parsonage Site, JRAHS, vol. 37, pt.4, 1951, p.252; Maclehose, James Picture of Sydney and Stranger’s Guide in New South Wales for 1839, Sydney, 1977 p.84
(39) Foster, William C. Sir Thomas Livingston Mitchell and his world 1792-1855: Surveyor General for New South Wales 1828-1855, Sydney, 1985, p.2
(40) Section No. 41 Phillip and Macquarie Street, Town of Sydney, Parish of St James, [Map], Sydney, [184?] (Probably about 1845 with an estimated scale of 1:396)
(41) Baden, F.M. Public Library of New South Wales. Historical Notes, 2nd edition, Sydney 1911, pp. 16, 20
(42) A Short History of St. James’s, Sydney, Sydney, 1963 p.35
(43) Oxley Papers, ML A5322-1, Frames 222-230, Catalogue to be sold by Mr. Bodenham on the premises in Macquarie Street, Lately occupied by the late and respected John Oxley Esq. Surveyor General of the Territory, and Catalogue of the Sale of Books, being the library of the late John Oxley Esq.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Mulini Press
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group